Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Hemi Grill


In 1964 the mid-sized Dodge and Plymouth cars that were designated with the 426 race Hemi engine would often get the "Hemi grill treatment" which would delete the inner headlights and extend the grill to cover over where they once were. This was a serious call out and if you were up against one of these super cars then you were in serious trouble.
Unfortunately I don't have a Hemi but I do have ambition and plan to someday sport an elephant under-hood. For now I will have to settle for the Hemi grill and go from there. As far as I know there is no "how-to" for building this grill and I've researched several different variations. Most of the ones done back in the day were crude and crooked (like the body mods). I have the ability to make it look half good so I thought I would go that route. One thing is for certain, two grills must be completely destroyed in order to make this happen and considering the rarity of these grills to start with I will be expecting hate mail from the resto set. Fortunately I happened to have two grills in excellent condition and felt the need to destroy something beautiful. I still need to do some file-fitment and get someone to weld the aluminum after which I will grind and polish it until it's time for reassembly.


1 comment: